This Blog Has Moved!

This Blog Has Moved!
This Blog Has Moved to a more stable environment. Click the graphic above.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Wine & Cheese Tasting Party Begins........Now!

Wow! My two predecessors got this new blog off to a rockin' and rollin' start! Thank you, Allen and Ralph for an awesome job, and thanks to James for providing the venue! I'd like to see us continue to grow in numbers here, and to see if we could especially get some of the ladies to begin commenting. So (this is NOT an April Fool's joke!), April will be wine and cheese tasting month. I hope it will be a joyous celebration. Tell a friend!

I understand that we guest editors enjoy a modicum of discretion in these parts during our month, so here is what I have in mind. Basically, I'll cut the cheese and you cats and chicks can pour the wine! What that means is that I'll throw out some basic ideas, hopefully things of common interest that might deserve further exploration, and you folks go ahead and do most of the commenting. Bend it, stretch it, take it anywhere you want to go, as long as nobody gets the bright idea of slipping a little vinegar into one of the wine bottles! Freedom!!!!

So, settle down into some nice comfortable furniture, and let the fun begin. I've got some Stevie Ray Vaughan, some Jeff Healey and some Cracker cued up on the ol' ipod, and we'll be taking some requests for later on.

-Byker Bob

11 comments:

Retired Prof said...

I look forward to it, Byker Bob. Previous PT editor John B. said you are a heckuva nice guy, and your comments bear that assessment out.

Ralph said...

BB, I was looking at your profile picture. That's some beautiful country!

Made me think back to the time I hiked down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Quite an experience.

Allen C. Dexter said...

Also looking forward to it, BB. Nothing like a good old discussion between thinking people who mutually respect each other.

Allen C. Dexter said...

That reminds me of an enjoyable experience when I was a student. I was past 21, so I could buy alcohol. I forget what prompted it, but I got some good cheddar and a bottle of Port and two other students and I had a great afternoon of discussion and camaraderie in the basement social room of Del Mar Manor. You've chosen a great theme.

Ralph said...

Allen, you made me think of the "Socrates Cafe" that made an appearance a few years ago. Seems there were a few out west. Wonder what became of them?

During my construction days out at Ambassador, I shared this really nic house out on East Del Mar Blvd. There were five of us single guys who shared the rent and upkeep of the house, and we got along surprisingly well.

Weekends, the guys might invite some females over, and we'd prepare a nice meal, if we couldn;t con the ladies into fixing a meal for us, and we'd really have nice discussions and some good, clean fun getting to know each other.

A very good friend shared that house with me. His name was Merle. I think that is the correct spelling. I've thought of him often through the years and wondered how he was doing. Really athletic guy.

The Painful Truth said...

Welcome Bob, where did you put that bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon?

Neotherm said...

Biker Bob:

I have seen your moniker for years but know nothing about you. Were you in the WCG many years? Did you attend AC?

-- Neo

Ralph said...

I really enjoyed the "Easy Rider" video, James.

Neotherm said...

I saw Easy Rider for the first time a few days ago. I thought I needed to see it because it is touted as a milestone motion picture for my generation.

I found that it did not have a lot of entertainment value. Just wasn't interesting. Fonda pouted a lot and Hopper was a novice actor. It did have a lot of scenery from the part of the country that I live in. Even though I see this scenery in real life all the time, it is novel to see it in film.

If this film was a milestone, I guess the country and the film industry were much different back in those days. Been so long it is hard to remember.

-- Neo

Byker Bob said...

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Neo (and some others might be wondering): my family became involved in WCG when I was approximately 9 years of age. I attended AC in Pasadena from '66 to '68, at which time the administration decided that it'd be best to make room for a student who might be more receptive to their "priceless!" instruction.

I then worked at AC Press until that facility was sold to the W.A. Krueger Company. I left WCG in 1975, when I became convinced that they had been making a lot of things up.

BB

Ralph said...

BB, I worked at the press for a few days, while I was deciding whether I wanted to stay or not. I just did letter sorting and simple stuff, but it was interesting.